SIG RC Fly-In - June 10-12, 2016 – Glen & Hazel Sig’s Famed Airstrip, Montezuma, Iowa
Once again this June, RC pilots and hobbyists from all over the Midwest will gather on the hallowed grounds of Hazel Sig’s airstrip in Montezuma, Iowa for the 42nd Annual SIG RC Fly-in. This is the very field where Hazel and her late husband, Glen, based their famed aerobatic flight show hangar, while running their historic RC airplane business, SIG Manufacturing, just a mile down the road. Hazel and Glen founded SIG in 1951, and it going strong in 2016! At 94 years of age, Hazel Sig is sure to come down to the flight line to visit with fan and sign autographs.
2016 SIG RC Airplane Event
The SIG Annual Fun Fly is an AMA Sanctioned event, and is open to all types of RC model airplanes - glow, gas and electric-powered aircraft. SIG airplanes are not required - all r/c airplane brands are welcome. The SIG fly-in features fun fly events and special prize drawings for pilots. All of the current SIG Airplanes will be on display for you to see and fly. Also, the new Seagull Models and Alien Aircraft airplanes will be showcased.
Mike Gretz Memorial Fly-In
This year the SIG Fly-In take on an even more special and reflective tone, being renamed in honor of Mike Gretz, former VP of SIG, Lead R&D Engineer, and 42-year employee of SIG Mfg. As a designer, he brought to market many of the most successful SIG models over the year. Under his leadership, SIG was the first manufacturer in the RC airplane industry to produce laser-cut model plane kit, as well as the first ARF. He also guided SIG into the computer age, always realizing that technology was a key to the future. As an AMA Hall of Fame member, he had a long list of accolades and distinguished performance awards for his participation on United States teams and World Championship competition in various forms of RC flight. Most importantly, he was kind and generous man, beloved by his family, friends, coworkers and fellow hobbyists.
RC Fly-In Details
Pre-registrations by mail is recommended. On-site registration check-in opens at 8:00 AM CST, and the pilots meeting will be at 10:00 AM CST on Friday, and 9:00 AM CST on Saturday. Food, concessions and the SIG Mfg. retail trailer will be available on site. The entry fee will be $15.00 per pilot. For more information and an Entry Form, contact: Bob Nelson, Contest Director or go to SIG Mfg. website: www.sigmfg.com.
Aero-Picnic: On-Site Saturday Evening
Once again, registered pilots and their families will enjoy a free on-site "Aero-Picnic" of fresh-grilled hamburgers, beans, chips, dessert, and drinks on Saturday night. Also, the plan is for Erik Edgren to dazzle the crowd with a private airshow in the original full-scale T-Clips! Great fun!
OFFICIAL RULES AND INFORMATION FOR THE 2016 SIG R/C FLY-IN
1) All applicable AMA and FAA regulations governing the pilot, his aircraft and equipment, and his conduct while on the field will be enforced. Consideration for the safety of spectators, fun fly personnel, and other flyers is of the utmost importance. Any hazardous flying over a controlled spectator area will be cause for
2) This event is a family-style Fun Fly, with the emphasis on safe fun flying and camaraderie. There will be ample open flying opportunities for all registered pilots. This is not a contest.
3) This Fly-In is AMA sanctioned. You must show a valid AMA license when you check in at the flying site. If you are not currently an AMA member, new AMA membership applications will be available at the site.
4) Each registered pilot may bring and fly as many different R/C model airplanes as he wishes, as long as each model meets all pertinent AMA guidelines. Maximum engine size is 6.0 cu.in. Maximum weight with fuel is 55 pounds.
5) All AMA legal frequencies will be allowed at this Fly-In. This includes the use of all 50 channels (both odd and even numbers) in the entire 72 mhz. and 2.4 ghz. band. In over 40 years of R/C activity, there have been no known frequency issues at SIG FIELD.
6) All transmitters and receivers must meet narrow-band standards. As part of the registration form, the pilot will sign a statement indicating that his radio equipment meets the guidelines for narrow-band operation.
7) Safety first! Each contestant is required to have a spotter/pitman with him at all times while on the flight line.
8) The SIG Field is located 1-1/2 miles south of Montezuma, Iowa on U.S. 63. Montezuma is located 8 miles south of Exit 191 off Interstate 80. It is approximately 60 miles east of Des Moines and 110 miles west of Davenport. The address is 5119 Highway 63. SIG Field Latitude: 41.54984 N Longitude: -92.53518 W
9) Pre-registration is encouraged. You may obtain an official entry form from:
SIG Mfg., R/C Contest, P.O. Box 520, Montezuma, IA 50171-0520. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit: www.sigmfg.com
Events for the 2016 SIG R/C Fly-In
Fly anything! Details at the field.
SUPER TURF TAG:
This is an airborne version of musical chairs and will be flown in rounds. Up to 6 contestants get airborne and orbit away from field. At the sound of the horn they must do a touch and go. Last man down and any that can't go are eliminated. Continue until only one man left. Winner of the heat advances to next round.
Five Card Draw Game to encourage airtime for all flyers and make a better show for spectators. Rules will be made available at the SIG Field.
SATURDAY NIGHT SLOW-FLY: For all electric park and slow flyers
From 7:00 P.M. until dark is reserved for slow flying only. Bring your park and slow fliers and enjoy an evening of silence.
This is your invitation to celebrate SIG!
We invite you to join us in Iowa in June to celebrate the history and future of SIG airplanes! Come Fly With Us!